Almost casually, the Providenzkirche blends into the colorful facade world of Heidelberg's shopping street. It was built between 1659 and 1661 on the initiative of Elector Karl Ludwig von der Pfalz and his wife Louise von Degenfeld. The Elector also gave the church its name Providence - after Genesis 22:8 "Dominus providebit" – "The Lord will provide". At the end of the 19th century, the interior was extensively remodeled and a bright church hall in the neo-Renaissance style was created. The organ, built in 1885 by Mathias Burkhard, is the oldest surviving organ in Heidelberg.