The Peterskirche is the oldest church in Heidelberg's Old Town. In 1196 it is mentioned in a document, which is also the first documentary mention of the village of Heidelberg. It has a varied architectural history over the centuries. Most recently, St. Peter's Church underwent extensive remodeling in the neo-Gothic style in the 19th century. Closely associated with Heidelberg University from the beginning, it has officially been a university church since 1896.